Sitz parties is an academic table party, an event that includes food, drink, drinking songs, socializing and lots of fun.
Sitz parties are an old tradition in Vaasa. The only way to learn more about sitz is to attend the sitz parties, which are organized by NESU-Waasa in Vaasa 5-7 times a year. Traditionally, the service consists of more or less of a hot meal, a few snacks (taken after certain songs) and a few beers or ciders.
You have to learn the sitz culture in the wild, but here are a few tips for first timers:
- Look at the older students for inspiration (this may not be the case for the rest of the evening…)
- Listen to what the party host, the toastmaster, has to say. It’s also polite to listen to what others have to say.
- Troublemakers may be punished with “punishment”. There is no cheering or applause for those who receive punishment.
- No one is allowed to leave the table without the toast’s permission.
- Take a shot and have fun!!!